tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Problems with mod_jk2
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 06:06:31 GMT

"Jonathan Peterson" <jpeterson@bmjgroup.com> wrote in message
news:3EF85A07.30504@bmjgroup.com...

> >I second this motion! Is the best idea to go back to mod_jk as
> >mod_webapp is depreciated?
> >

> mod_jk appears to work, although documentation is slim. I have not tried
> mod_jk2 but it's unclear to me what its advantages are...
>
> Oddly enough, the docs say that mod_jk was created as a replacement to
> the over-complex mod_jserv, but I can't say I ever had much difficulty
> with mod_jserv compared to mod_jk / tomcat, but hey ;-)

Actually, the main advantage of mod_jk over mod_jserv is the persistent
connection from Apache <-> Tomcat (well, other than the obvious that the TC
4.x line doesn't support mod_jserv :).

The advantages to mod_jk2 over mod_jk are very clear to developers (the code
is much much cleaner).  If you are only using channelSocket, then most of
the improvements don't mean much to end users at the moment (with the
possible exception of RI support in mappings).  You also can use UnixSockets
and (an actually working) JNI channel with mod_jk2 (of course, JNI only
really works with Apache-2/IIS/iPlanet, but some of the developers have
reportedly tried it with Apache-1.3.x -- giving a weird load-balancing
config :).