tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chad Lemmen <c...@lemmen.com>
Subject Tomcat classpath not set at boot
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:58:04 GMT
I've got Tomcat 4.1.24 starting at boot on my Linux box with a script in
/etc/rc.d/init.d.  The script looks like this

#!/bin/sh
JAVA_HOME=/usr/java
export JAVA_HOME
/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24/bin/startup.sh

Tomcat is starting at boot and seems to work fine http://localhost:8080
brings up the default Tomcat home page.  The only thing that doesn't seem
to be working is my classpaths that I set in the catalina.sh file are not
being set.  If I start Tomcat from the command line my classpaths are
being read and my servlet works, but when starting Tomcat at boot my
classpaths don't seem to be set because when I try to run my servlet I get
"java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError"

I don't get this error when Tomcat is started from the command line.  Why
would starting it at boot time not use my user set classpaths?

Here is the portion of catalina.sh that I added my classpath to.

# Add on extra jar files to CLASSPATH
if [ -n "$JSSE_HOME" ]; then

CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH":"$JSSE_HOME"/lib/jcert.jar:"$JSSE_HOME"/lib/jnet.jar:
"$JSSE_HOME"/lib/jsse.jar
fi
CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH":"$CATALINA_HOME"/bin/bootstrap.jar:
/opt/EspressReport/lib/ReportAPIWithChart.jar:
/opt/EspressReport/lib/ExportLib.jar

I also tried adding the two jar files ReportAPIWithChart.jar and
ExportLib.jar to CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib

Both methods work and my classpaths are set and my servlet works, but only
if Tomcat is started from the command line "CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh".
Why doesn't this work when starting at boot?