tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dan Hart <dh...@findlaw.com>
Subject Connector persistance across multiple apache frontends
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:59:56 GMT
Please forgive my ignorance in this matter and the inherant rudeness in
asking a question moments after subscribing to this list.

The short question:  Is it possible to maintain persistant connections
		     across a line of front-end apache 1.3 linux boxen?
		     The goal is high availability.  If possible, please
		     point me in the right direction of finding
		     documentation on this ability.

Diagram:
========

	Hardware LB Level:		BigIP (Redundant, of course)

				+----+----+----+----+----+--...
				|    |    |    |    |    |  ...
	Webserver Level:      webA webB webC webD webE webF ...
       (Apache + mod_jk)	|    |    |    |    |    |  ...
				+----+----+----+----+----+----+--...
			  	|    |    |    |    |    |    |  ...
	Tomcat Level:	       tc1  tc2  tc3  tc4  tc5  tc6  tc7 ...
       (On Solaris 8)		|    |    |    |    |    |    |  ...
 				+----+----+----+----+----+----+--...
	Database Level:	                  |
				       Database (Redundant, of course)

Details:
========

I understand on a basic level how the mod_jk connector works, mainly from
documentation found in the worker's HOWTO.  To quote:

	* sticky_session  specifies whether requests with SESSION ID's
			  should be routed back to the same Tomcat worker.
			  If sticky_session is an int and is not 0 it is set
			  to JK_TRUE and sessions are sticky, otherwise
			  sticky_session is set to false. Set sticky_session
			  to JK_FALSE when Tomcat is using a Session Manager
			  which can persist session data across multiple
			  instances of Tomcat. By default sticky_session
		          is set to JK_TRUE.

This appears to refer to a single apache instance.  It also seems to be
enabled by default, which would explain the difficulty in finding
documentation on it ;)  From past experience with mod_jserv, I know I
could do this setup using ApJServRoute directives (assuming these were the
same across all systems, of course).

So is this possible with mod_jk?  My assumption is that "Yes, of course
this is possible you twat and is enabled by default even!" however such
answers tend to go poorly at higher levels of management.  So a piece of
official documentation showing this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Dan Hart
UNIX Systems Administrator