tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Andryc <>
Subject Tomcat Authentication Nightmare
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:45:41 GMT
Hi all,
    In a previous project, I decided to use Tomcat authentication and just
had nightmarish troubles. Telling people they couldn't bookmark the logon
page just isn't a solution. Plus, many people had serious problems trying to
login. They would enter in their user name and passwords multiple times, and
still could not get in. I would honestly say 25-30% of the people had
problems, which did not reflect well on me. Previously I used Apache
authentication, but it is just not as flexible as Tomcat, but then again I
never had a problem with it. I was wondering if there are any suggestions
for authentication? I don't really want to use Apache for this upcoming
project and would really prefer a Tomcat-like authentication mechanism where
I could use a database to hole user names and passwords etc. Any suggestions
would be appreciated!

Kevin Andryc
Web Systems Engineer
Phone: (413)-545-3460