tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Burton" <a...@e-plus.com.au>
Subject RE: IOException: failed to communicate with MySQL
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 06:21:40 GMT
a couple of days ago a post went by talking about MySQL default timeout
being set to 8 hrs for connections... betting this might be your problem...

-----Original Message-----
From: Mindaugas Genutis [mailto:mindaugas@elinara.ktu.lt]
Sent: Tuesday, 3 June 2003 5:26 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: IOException: failed to communicate with MySQL

Hello,

My JSP application very often after night, in the morning stops
communicating with MySQL database. I get an exception each morning (the
exception body goes below). The application starts to work again after I
restart it from the Tomcat Manager.

Maybe someone else also had this same problem? My server configuration:
Linux Redhat, Tomcat 4.1.24, Java 1.4.1.

My assumptions where the problem might be: the MySQL connections are
"eaten" by another application or they are "eaten" by my application
somewhere inside and never closed. Or maybe during the night when no one
is working with my application it somehow "frozes"? Can anyone give me a
clue how to start debugging these early morning crashes?

Another clue: Connections to the database are made through an SQLManager
which is a class written by another programmer. The class is a singleton.
Could it be that I have to reset it more often?

The exception body goes here:

java.sql.SQLException: Communication link failure: java.io.IOException
	at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.clearAllReceive(Unknown Source)
	at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(Unknown Source)
	at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQuery(Unknown Source)
	at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.execSQL(Unknown Source)
	at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.execSQL(Unknown Source)
	at com.mysql.jdbc.Statement.executeQuery(Unknown Source)
	at com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.Statement.executeQuery(Unknown Source)
	at
lt.ktu.distance.sql.mysql.MySQLGUILanguageManagerHelper.loadGUILanguages(MyS
QLGUILanguageManagerHelper.java:48)
	at
lt.ktu.distance.sql.GUILanguageManager.loadGUILanguages(GUILanguageManager.j
ava:55)
	at org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:155)
	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:137)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:2
10)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
	at
FilterChain.java:247)
	at
ain.java:193)
	at
va:256)
	at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at
	at
	at
va:191)
	at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at
	at
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2415)
	at
)
	at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at
java:171)
	at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:172
)
	at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
	at
	at
	at
:174)
	at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at
	at
	at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:594)
	at
ction(Http11Protocol.java:392)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:565)
	at
a:619)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

Thanks,

--
Kaunas Regional Distance Education Center
Programmer