tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Collins, Jim" <jim.coll...@uk.nomura.com>
Subject RE: Advantages to putting Apache as front end to Tomcat
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:11:17 GMT
One other point I would like to add is running on port 80. If you use apache
as soon as the server has started it can switch to another role which you
can't do with Tomcat.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:yoav.shapira@mpi.com]
Sent: 19 June 2003 14:07
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Advantages to putting Apache as front end to Tomcat

Howdy,
Apache is the best HTTP web server out there, I'd say.  That's a
sweeping statement that covers:
- Configurability: you can configure pretty much anything any which way
- Stability: no other HTTP server is hit as hard / as much as Apache
httpd, no other HTTP server is expected to stay up as long
- Security: Apache is extremely well tested for security, constantly
being analyzed by hackers, pros, etc.
- Speed: for just serving static HTML content, Apache is as good as they
come IMHO

Disadvangtes of Apache/Tomcat versus Tomcat-standalone include:
- Increased configuration difficulty
- Increased number of services (2 instead of 1) that need to be
monitored, started, etc.
- Increased difficulty of debugging problems

Both Apache and Tomcat can do SSL/HTTPS by themselves.  Both can do
virtual hosting by themselves.  Apache is at least as good, possibly
better, than tomcat at virtual hosting.

This topic has been discussed at length, so I would usually say just
search the archives.  However, I think a lot of people still have this
conception that tomcat sucks at static content (which it doesn't) and
that all serious applications use apache as a front-end (which they
don't).  I personally tend to have an operational view of things, and
have found tomcat-standalone (with a security manager and a tight
security policy) to be sufficient for my real-world needs.

I'm sure other people will disagree ;)  But it's nice to have choices.
If nothing else, you can always start with tomcat standalone, and if you
run into something you can't do, add Apache.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

sender.  Thank you.

PLEASE READ: The information contained in this email is confidential
and intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you are not an intended
recipient of this email you must not copy, distribute or take any
further action in reliance on it and you should delete it and notify the
sender immediately. Email is not a secure method of communication and
Nomura International plc cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy
or completeness of this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this
email for virus infection, for which Nomura International plc accepts
no responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please
Nomura International plc. This email is intended for informational
purposes only and is not a solicitation or offer to buy or sell
securities or related financial instruments. Nomura International plc is
regulated by the Financial Services Authority and is a member of the
London Stock Exchange.