tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christian Hvid <ch...@acm.org>
Subject "Persistent attributes"
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:34:26 GMT
Hello list.

I have tried posting this question to comp.lang.java but I didn't get
the answer that I needed:

I am writing a web application that stores its data in an XML-file. I
am deploying it via Apache Tomcat. I would like to make it easy to
deploy. For it to work the user deploying my application has to set the
file name of the data storage.

I can think of two approaches:

1. The application provides the user interface: My application has a
setup page and if it is the first time it is run it will ask the user
the file name of the data storage.

To implement this I need to make a string persistent. Does Apache
Tomcat provide a way to make data persistent accross stop/starts? I
have tried setAttribute in ServletContext but the attributes disappear
when the application is reloaded.

2. The servlet container provides the user interface: I find the Tomcat
web interface slightly clumsy but there is something called environment
entries in the administration tool. How do I read these environment
entries in my application?

Alternatively: Is there a way to set the init parameters (that are read
via ServletConfig) from within Apache Tomcat's web interface?

Any help appreciated.

-- Christian

PS: If you are interested - I am making a Wiki and it is available
including source here:

http://vredungmand.dk/programming/orange/index.html