tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Abid Ali Teepo" <abid.ali.te...@mogul.no>
Subject A filter for authentication
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:09:53 GMT

Hi

I am trying to make a filter that will redirect all request that don't have a autheticated
attribute set, to be redirected to the login page.

Somehow my filter does not work properly even though it still is a very basic implementation
that
does nothing besides a few system out prints.

The only confirmation i get that this filter is in fact loaded into tocat, is that during
startup my constructor is called. I know that since the system out call writes to the console.

The filter is supposed to take all request to the site since the url-pattern is set to /*

Here is the code for the filter :

public class BidFilter implements Filter
{
  private FilterConfig filterConfig;

	public BidFilter() {System.out.println("Filter Constructor");}

  public void init(FilterConfig f) {}

  public void doFilter (ServletRequest request, ServletResponse response,
        FilterChain chain)
  {

    try
    {
      System.out.print ("Within Bid Filter ... ");
      System.out.println ("Filtering the Request ...");

      chain.doFilter (request, response);

      System.out.print ("Within Bid Filter ... ");
      System.out.println ("Filtering the Response ...");

    } catch (IOException io) {
      System.out.println ("IOException raised in BidFilter");
    } catch (ServletException se) {
      System.out.println ("ServletException raised in BidFilter");
    }
  }

  public FilterConfig getFilterConfig()
  {
    return this.filterConfig;
  }

  public void setFilterConfig (FilterConfig filterConfig)
  {
    this.filterConfig = filterConfig;
  }

  public void destroy() { }

}

And here is the web.xml file for the filter :

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">

<web-app>
    <display-name>Filter Request</display-name>
    <description>The Secure Server</description>

    <filter>
		<filter-name>BidFilter</filter-name>
		<filter-class>Bid.BidFilter</filter-class>
	</filter>

	<filter-mapping>
		<filter-name>BidFilter</filter-name>
		<url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>