tomcat-users mailing list archives

From ckn...@onebox.com
Subject Getting servlet to run
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:56:00 GMT
Environment:
Windows XP, Tomcat 4.1.24, Sun JVM 1.4.1_02-b06

I managed to fix my problem running JSPs in an application directory I created. Now I'm moving
on to getting a servlet to run. I have copied and compiled two servlets from different books.
One I put in "D:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes". The
second one, which is part of a package called "chapter2" I put in "D:\Program Files\Apache
Group\Tomcat 4.1\webapps\apress\WEB-INF\classes\chapter2". Both compiled without complaint.
I stopped and re-started Tomcat and pointed my browser at each in turn and got these messages:

"The requested resource (/servlet/HelloWorld) is not available."

"The requested resource (/apress/servlet/chapter2.login) is not available."

The log file doesn't show anything suggesting a problem. Do all rank Tomcat beginners have
this much trouble? If so, how did it get to be so popular? Can anyone suggest an approach?
Thanks.

--
Charles Knell
cknell@onebox.com - email