tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Euan Guttridge <EGuttri...@buildonline.com>
Subject RE: precompiled jsp's as a part of application war file
Date Sun, 08 Jun 2003 20:54:43 GMT
Tomcat documentation advises pre-compilation is used only to test all your
jsps compile ok. Not to deploy pre-compiled jsps but instead to use
something like httpunit, or a webload script to automatically call your jsps
to be compiled by tomcat. However the Jasper documentation states to go
ahead to use Ant's jspc task to precompile then deploy!

If you want to give it a go the Ant & Jasper documentation for jspc is all
you should need.
http://ant.apache.org/manual/index.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jasper-howto.html#Web%20Appl
ication%20Compilation.
Also check out Maven - it has a web.xml merge function you could use to
fully automate a build,compile, deploy script.

You could also try the alpha Tomcat 5. Quoted from
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/
"Refactored application deployer, with an optional standalone deployer
allowing validation and compilation of a web application before putting it
in production".

I would be interested to hear how and what you do..

Cheers
Euan