tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Too Many Jars!??!
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:19:15 GMT

Howdy,

>      Is there a clean way to compact all the JARs that tomcat has (All
>JARs
>in Tomcat Sub-Folders) into one BIGTomcat.jar.  And is there a specific
>order that it must go in (If have two conflicting packages and/or
classes,
>which one to use).

The conflict problem you pointed out is one reason not to do this.
Another reason is the ability to replace any of the individual jars by
an updated version without needing to modify the others.  There are many
are pros to modularity, and no cons I can think of.

Can you suggest a con, or otherwise explain why you want to combine all
these jars?

>    Is there a way to modify the ant build script so it might to this
>automatically? (Dreaming)

This is a trivial ant task to create (pick a temp directory, extract all
jars to it, jar everything in that directory).  Don't count on seeing
this task included in tomcat (or any non-trivial product) any time soon,
however, as it's negative effects far outweigh its benefits.

Yoav Shapira