tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Is there any difference between Shutdown and context reload ?
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:50:57 GMT

Howdy,

>    I would like to know whether Tomcat behaves the same when Tomcat is
>Restarted and a context reload ?.

No.  Tomcat restart restarts all the webapps, context reloads only
affects one specific webapp.  Other minor details are different as well,
e.g. creation of System.out/System.err sink, etc.

>Another question is why Tomcat  is
>reloading all servlets when a single servlet is changed.

Same classloader.

In general, the container is not required to keep servlets around at all
until they are requested.  It's valid (though not very practical) for
the container to destroy() your servlet after each call to it, and
init() a new one when another call comes in.

Yoav Shapira