tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: global parameters--which way
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:05:40 GMT

Howdy,

>It seems as though there are (at least) 2 ways to set up global
application
>parameters at deployment time: 1) put them in a <context-param> tag in
the
>deployment descriptor, or 2) use a properties file or resource bundle
>read them in.  Is there a preferred or standard way, or does it even
>matter?

You were right to state there are at least 2.  Other ways include JNDI
(<Resource> tags in server.xml for tomcat), reading from a service, etc.
etc.

Between the above two approaches, ask yourself:
- Who reads these parameters?  Are they servlets/listeners/filters only,
POJOs only, or a mix?  If it's servlets/listeners/filters only, a
<context-param> is likely a good choice.  If it's POJOs only, a
.properties file on the classpath is a good choice.  If it's a mix,
either one is a good choice.

The advantage of putting .properties file on the classpath is that you
can access them in your app even if you're not running within a servlet
container.  The disadvantage is that it's more difficult to modify, it's
an uglier source organization, it mixes code and configuration.

I usually like properties file placed under WEB-INF, accessed via
ServletContext#getResource() or ServletContext#getResourceAsStream().
This is standard, portable, clean, safe, protects the properties files
from the browser.

Yoav Shapira