tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Class Loader (parent/child tree)
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:54:49 GMT

Howdy,
It's only contradictory in appearance when you don't quote (or read) the
whole page ;)

>Hello,
>
>According to the tomcat documentation:
>
>"Normally, when a class loader is asked to load a particular
>class or resource, it delegates the request to a parent class
>loader first, and then looks in its own repositories only if
>the parent class loader(s) cannot find the requested class or
>resource."

But the next sentence, in the same paragraph, says:
"The model for web application class loaders differs slightly from this,
as discussed below, but the main principles are the same."

And below, after precise definitions of each classloader, it says:

"As mentioned above, the web application class loader diverges from the
default Java 2 delegation model (in accordance with the recommendations
in the Servlet Specification, version 2.3, section 9.6). When a request
to load a class from the web application's WebappX class loader is
processed, this class loader will look in the local repositories first,
instead of delegating before looking. All other class loaders in Tomcat
4 follow the usual delegation pattern."

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics