tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: help with SEVERE: Exception starting filter Set Character Encoding
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 20:31:05 GMT

Howdy,

>I get the error "SEVERE: Exception starting filter Set Character
Encoding
>java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: filters.SetCharacterEncodingFilter"
when
>I start tomcat (see below).

Do you have this class anywhere in your distribution?

>I loaded Java 2 SDK 1.4 (port for aix from ibm website) and tomcat 5.0
from
>apache website (no aix port available from ibm).

Tomcat 5.x is alpha-quality.  The examples in particular (which both the
ContentEncoding and the Compression filters are) are not perfect yet.
Comment these two filters out of the examples web.xml if you want to see
the rest of the examples.

If you need a stable environment, I suggest you try tomcat 4.1.24.

Out of curiosity, why would you expect an AIX port of tomcat from IBM
(or anyone else)?  Tomcat is pure Java -- there's no more AIX port than
Solaris port ;)

Yoav Shapira