tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: [SOLVED]RE: getResourceAsStream cached by Tomcat's Classloader?
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 18:48:55 GMT

Howdy,

>Dang it! I knew it was too good to be true. Well, it works just fine
for
>me.
>I do not deal with WARs. Anywyas, why would anyone want to run from a
>"packed" WAR anyways (instead of unpacked)? I'm not being sarcastic. I
am
>just trying to think of an instance where it makes sense.

Two cases come to mind:

- Running from a non filesystem-based server that can't unpack wars.
Oracle's servlet container was like this (at least used to be), as it
used the DB instead of the filesystem to serve resources.

- When you want to just have one file (the .war) for your app, and you
want to prohibit (for intellectual property legal protection etc.) users
from examining its contents.

Note that the servlet specification does not mandate filesystem support
for web applications.

That said, it's always a debate on whether WAR should be seen as a
packaging format only, to be unpacked on the server, or an equivalent to
an executable file on windows, which is one unit.

Yoav Shapira