tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: -Xincgc, -Xms600, -Xmx600
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 16:15:42 GMT

Howdy,

>I question whether this is a memory issue. Even if you use 600MB, why
does
>tomcat run at 100% cpu forever??? Shouldn't the gc finish???

GC may finish and immediately restart if memory is still full.  That
would keep CPU usage pegged.

>I have had this same problem with Tomcat for quite some time too. It
seems
>to be an issue with Tomcat installed as a service ... or possibly some
>issue with the jk connector.

Both of those seem to be reasonable theories.

>I am using jdk1.3.1_07. I know that people upgraded to jdk1.4 and the
>problem persists ... so it's probably not a JVM issue.

I don't think that's a possible conclusion without significant further
investigation.  There are simply too many variables, too many difference
between JDK 1.3.x and 1.4.x, and "people" vs your specific situation.

Can you see if it's actually GC that's using the CPU?  If not, what is?
One way to find out is to ctrl-break your tomcat when it's using 100%
CPU.  You will get output showing what exactly every thread in the VM
was doing.

Yoav Shapira