tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: configuration
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:13:48 GMT

Howdy,

>2 questions:
>- I usually copy/paste all the library .jar files into my jdk/lib and
>choose not to overwrite (tools.jar).  Then I can compile servlets w/o
>problem.

This is one of those shortcuts that, while apparently harmless, can
cause nightmarish headaches.  For example, if you override the XML APIs
with a bad version.

Don't do the above.  Use ant.  Keep the JDK as it is, keep the tomcat
libraries as they are.  The source organization, build processes, etc,
are described here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/index.html

>- I'd like to just drop a servlet into a directory, restart the service
and
>test servlets.  I drop them into one of the /class directories on 4.0
and
>this works.  5.0 and 4.1 have about a half dozen "class" directories in
>different locations.  I've tried dropping the same servlet on 4.1 in
all of
>them but it still won't load.

Create a "test" or "temp" (or whatever you want to call it) webapp.
Create a WEB-INF directory under that webapp, and copy a plain web.xml
(e.g. the one from $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT) into the WEB-INF
directory.  Create a classes directory under WEB-INF.  That's where
you'll copy your compiled servlets.

Comment in the invoker servlet mapping in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml.
Make sure you context is marked as reloadable in server.xml.  Then
you'll be able to access servlets as
http://yourhost:yourport/test/servlet/[servletClassName]

(Where test is your webapp name).

And don't use tomcat 5 unless you're sure you want it: it's alpha.

Yoav Shapira