tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Advantages to putting Apache as front end to Tomcat
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:06:58 GMT

Howdy,
Apache is the best HTTP web server out there, I'd say.  That's a
sweeping statement that covers:
- Configurability: you can configure pretty much anything any which way
- Stability: no other HTTP server is hit as hard / as much as Apache
httpd, no other HTTP server is expected to stay up as long
- Security: Apache is extremely well tested for security, constantly
being analyzed by hackers, pros, etc.
- Speed: for just serving static HTML content, Apache is as good as they
come IMHO

Disadvangtes of Apache/Tomcat versus Tomcat-standalone include:
- Increased configuration difficulty
- Increased number of services (2 instead of 1) that need to be
monitored, started, etc.
- Increased difficulty of debugging problems

Both Apache and Tomcat can do SSL/HTTPS by themselves.  Both can do
virtual hosting by themselves.  Apache is at least as good, possibly
better, than tomcat at virtual hosting.

This topic has been discussed at length, so I would usually say just
search the archives.  However, I think a lot of people still have this
conception that tomcat sucks at static content (which it doesn't) and
that all serious applications use apache as a front-end (which they
don't).  I personally tend to have an operational view of things, and
have found tomcat-standalone (with a security manager and a tight
security policy) to be sufficient for my real-world needs.

I'm sure other people will disagree ;)  But it's nice to have choices.
If nothing else, you can always start with tomcat standalone, and if you
run into something you can't do, add Apache.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics