tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Where does Tyrex fit in?
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:58:08 GMT

Howdy,

>Referring to an earlier mail of mine reporting a
>problem in setting up datasource (cannot configure
>BasicDataSource 'null', or something like that), I
>read somewhere in a posting that I should be sure to
>have the tyrex.jar in my server/lib or common/lib. It
>also said it should be standard as of 4.0 and with the
>Tomcat distribution, but I cannot find this jar
>anywhere in my Tomcat installation (4.1.24).

4.0.x != 4.1.x ;)  In the 4.0.x branch, you'd see a tyrex-0.9.7.0.jar
and tyrex.license files in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.

>What is it and what is it used for? Is it indeed
>required, or was I put on a wild-goose chase?

Tyrex is an open-source implementation of the Java Transaction Service.
You can use it with tomcat to have JTS (and things like XADataSource) ;)
Unfortunately the exolab folks seem to be having a lot of problems
recently, and tyrex appears dead in the water for now.

Yoav Shapira