tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Roman Fail" <rf...@posportal.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Standalone and Virtual Hosting
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:54:55 GMT
There's also an iptables workaround for port 80 on Linux that I am using in production and
found very useful:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-secjav.html

Roman

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Yoav Shapira [mailto:yoavs1@yahoo.com]
	Sent: Wed 6/18/2003 4:16 PM
	To: Tomcat Users List; lwilliam@amnh.org
	Subject: Re: Tomcat Standalone and Virtual Hosting

	Howdy,
	This partially depends on your OS.  If you're on windows, you can just run
	tomcat on port 80.  If you're on unix, port 80 is privileged and you need to:
	- Work around that, e.g. by using sudo or commons-launcher
	- Put an Apache front-end to serve static content on port 80, and connect it to
	tomcat for dynamic content.

	Either tomcat or apache by themselves support virtual hosting.  For tomcat, you
	simply add more <Host> elements in server.xml.  See the <Host> configuration
	reference in the tomcat docs.

	Yoav Shapira

	--- Latesha Williams <lwilliam@amnh.org> wrote:
	> I have a web application deployed under Tomcat v4.1.18 (port 8080).  Is it
	> also possible to configure the Tomcat Standalone Service to support virtual
	> hosting, but on port 80?  If so, how is this accomplished?  What is the
	> "best practices" method for storing static web content in this situation?
	> Should the web content be placed in the Tomcat directory, or someplace else?
	> Any guidance you can provide is appreciated.
	>
	> Latesha Williams
	> Applications Support, Information Technology
	> American Museum of Natural History
	> lwilliam@amnh.org
	> (W) 212.769.5947
	> (C) 917.837.2460