tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Goehring, Chuck Mr., RCI - San Diego" <cgoehr...@resourceconsultants.com>
Subject RE: Running Tomcat on port 80
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 00:05:53 GMT
Terry,

Tomcat would need exclusive use of the port.  You probably have Apache or some other web server
already listening on that port.  You will have to move it to another if you want to run Tomcat
on 80.  The other option is to have Apache act as the front-end to Tomcat using a connector
such as mod_jk.

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: taf@pgmguild.com [mailto:taf@pgmguild.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 4:53 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Running Tomcat3 on port 80

What do I have to do to get Tomcat 3.3.1 to run with port 80?  I modified server.xml to alter
the port number, and it now fails with lack of permission on port 80.  The Redhad doc for
Apache says it must be started by root for this to work, but I start it as root and it still
fails.

A command line procedure would be best, and pointer to commands and doc is fine.

Thanks!

Regards,
Terry Fuller
taf@pgmguild.com