tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Mayne, Peter" <PeterMa...@ap.spherion.com>
Subject RE: How to use HTTP1.0 by default
Date Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:40:48 GMT
Er, isn't that what I said in my first two sentences? Rereading what I
wrote, it could have been phrased a little clearer, I suppose.

PJDM
-- 
Peter Mayne
Technology Consultant
Spherion Technology Solutions
Level 1, 243 Northbourne Avenue, Lyneham, ACT, 2602
T: 61 2 62689727  F: 61 2 62689777

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com] 
> Sent: Friday, 27 June 2003 10:20 PM
> To: Tomcat Users List
> Subject: RE: How to use HTTP1.0 by default
> 
> 
> 
> Howdy,
> 
> >If an HTTP/1.1 server receives an HTTP/1.0 request, it should respond
> with >HTTP/1.0. The response will say "HTTP/1.1" because that 
> indicates
> the >version that the server is capable of providing, not the version
> that it is >using for the response.
> >RFC 2145 says "An HTTP server MAY send a lower response 
> version, if it
> is >known or suspected that the client incorrectly implements the HTTP
> >specification, but this should not be the default, and this 
> SHOULD NOT
> be >done if the request version is HTTP/1.1 or greater." You can
> probably draw >your own conclusions as to what Tomcat probably does.
> >Therefore, if you want Tomcat to respond using HTTP/1.0, send it an
> >HTTP/1.0 request. 
> 
> It's nice to see a researched response.  However, I disagree with it.
> RFC 2145 is less relevant here than RFC 2616.  RFC 2616 requires that
> HTTP servers always begin their responses with the highest 
> HTTP version
> that they claim to support. Therefore, this Connector will 
> always return
> HTTP/1.1 at the beginning of its responses.
> 
> Either way, the original poster is down a path that will 
> require him/her
> to:
> - Use old/deprecated connectors
> - Customize a connector
> - Use an older HTTP/1.0 server.
> 
> Yoav Shapira
> 
> 
> 
> 
> This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential 
> business communication, and may contain information that is 
> confidential, proprietary and/or privileged.  This e-mail is 
> intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, 
> and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by 
> anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, 
> please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer 
> system and notify the sender.  Thank you.
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 

The information contained in this email and any attachments to it:

(a) may be confidential and if you are not the intended recipient, any interference with,

use, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited; and

(b) may contain personal information of the recipient and/or the sender as defined 
under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). Consent is hereby given by the recipient(s) to 
collect, hold and use such information and any personal information contained in a 
response to this email, for any reasonable purpose in the ordinary course of 
Spherion's 
business, including forwarding this email internally or disclosing it to a third party. All

personal information collected by Spherion will be handled in accordance with 
Spherion's Privacy Policy. If you have received this email in error, please notify the 
sender and delete it.

(c) you agree not to employ or arrange employment for any candidate(s) supplied in 
this email and any attachments without first entering into a contractual agreement with 
Spherion. You further agree not to divulge any information contained in this document 
to any person(s) or entities without the express permission of Spherion.



Mime
View raw message