tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Rimov <rim...@centercomp.com>
Subject RE: -Xincgc, -Xms600, -Xmx600
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 01:22:15 GMT
At 08:56 AM 6/3/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Howdy,
>
> >Sure, it is possible that the gc could run as long as your process is
> >running, but it should stop after your process completes. If tomcat
>keeps
> >running at 100% cpu forever, you have a problem ... something that
>looks
> >like an infinite loop.

I want to throw something else in here.  I came across some issues with
Hotspot that seemed to cause this.

The workaround to keep from CPU-pegging was adding -Xint to the startup
script. [Which makes things DOG SLOW since it turns off hotspot].  See if
it crashes after a couple of days or not.

I had an issue with Expresso that caused this... I had a nested loop in a
JSP page, that if I called the jsp page repeatedly, the system would lock
with 100% CPU utilization. [Memory was not consumed at this point].  If I
removed the code to a single loop, it seemed stable.

I haven't been able to get the test case small enough to submit a bug
report, but for me, I had a couple of classes I marked 'final' and a few
methods marked 'synchronized' that didn't need to be, and got it more
stable.  I never encountered this issue on 1.4.2 beta so I figured it was
something up with the hotspot for 1.4.1.

Anyway, it's just a shot!
                                                         -Mike