tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Frank McCreedy <frank.mccre...@nrlssc.navy.mil>
Subject errors on shutdown, failed request
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:50:43 GMT
Maybe this should go do dev list, sorry if I post to wrong one.

I having a couple of problems with Tomcat.  I'm running it as a service on
windows 2000.  Here are the versions:

Apache 2.0.44
mod jk 2.0.2
Tomcat 4.1.18

First problem:

When a request fails (I'm doing post requests) because the client closes
its output stream prematurely, an exception is not thrown in
tomcat.  Instead, on the very next request, Tomcat tries to process the
last request's data and throws the error then.  I don't see the error in
the logs until the next request is performed after the failure.  The
failure causes that request to fail too and it must be resubmitted.  It's
like Tomcat isn't detecting the end of stream or IOException on the first
request that fails so it can't clear some kind of incoming buffer maybe?

Second problem:

When the Tomcat service is shutdown, Tomcat (or something) is writing some
data to any client output streams that it has open.  So instead of getting
an IOException or end of stream or whatever on the client, I'm getting
data, but it causes a problem for my client since it is trying to read a
memory size for allocation but instead it's getting random garbage (maybe
it's not so random I haven't looked into it further yet).  If the machine
is reset this problem doesn't happen and I get the expected exception on
the client.

Any ideas?