tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Strecker, Mark" <mark.strec...@eds.com>
Subject RE: Sharing a connection pool among contexts
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 19:44:57 GMT
I have a simple solution for you. All you need to do is create a global DataSource then go
to your context and add it as a Resource Link. You can share it between as many contexts as
you want. In Tomcat 4.x and above, this is quite simple with the admin app ... otherwise,
you have to go add it by hand.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Emerson Cargnin [mailto:emerson@tre-sc.gov.br]
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 3:42 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Sharing a connection pool among contexts

I do it in a different way :

I have a servlet in charge to set all pools, and I have a class with
statics methods to manage the pools, creating, test, and show their use.
This class is shared with all contexts through a jar in common/lib.

So I have a servlet, with all configuration of the pools in param in the
web.xml. this servlet can create pools (in its init method), test and
show it, and show statistics.
I works great, and I can share a pool among contexts.
I use the bitmechanic connection pool, a little old, but still works.
http://www.bitmechanic.com/projects/jdbcpool/dist/jdbcpool-1.0b1.zip

I put the jar of the pool in the common/lib dir. I f anyone is
interested in the ConnectionManager, I can share it, it's an eclipse
project with ant build file that generates both war and the lib jar.

Hope it can help :)

Emerson

Scott wrote:

> Hi, I have configured the commons-dbcp datasource as a JNDI resource
> for MSSQL and Oracle and all is working as expected. However, as I
> understand, it is only possible to keep a factory as a resource and so
> a new datapool must be created everytime a JNDI lookup is done. I
> would like to share a single connection pool among different contexts.
>
> My first attempt was to create a listener that put a single instance
> of a pool into the JNDI only to find that it is read-only. For my next
> attempt I am thinking of creating a javabean with a static collection
> of datasources and name keys that can be gotten as a JNDI resource so
> that the different applications can just retrieve the bean and do a
> lookup of the datasource that way.
>
> Am I missing an easier or better way to do this? I do not have any
> experience with Javabeans and based on the stuff I've seen on the web
> beans are usually graphic oriented. Is this an appropriate use of a
> bean (or perhaps an Enterprise Javabean)?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Scott

Emerson Cargnin
Analista de Sitemas
Setor de Desenvolvimento de Sistemas - TRE-SC
tel : (048) - 251-3700 - Ramal 3181