tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hayo Schmidt <>
Subject Re: Where to place the tomcat distribution in file system
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:07:42 GMT
<off-topic>I have a Folder C:\Programme and a Folder C:\Program Files on
my windows system, just because some installers are not programmed

The point is, i can do what i like with my personal system. But i am
working together with colleagues and clients, i might use several
systems (FreeBSD, SuSE, Mandrake, Debian...) that members of my computer
club ( have set up. And all people can do what they
like on their systems.

Having an official *recommendation*, just that, would make life much
easier than it is now.

Yes, standards make life easier.

Jason Bainbridge schrieb:

>On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:09, Hayo Schmidt wrote:
>>The different locations make it difficult to understand systems other
>>people have set up.  And that wastes time.
>>This obviously is a general problem of Linux.
>I hate statements like that... What about the fact that one of the first
>options within just about any Windows based installset is to select the
>location you wish to install to? I've seen C:\Program Files\, D:\Program
>Files and even on E:...
>So it's a quirk of human nature not of any O/S related problem, different
>people like different things so they do things differently. :)
>At least on Linux normal users are restricted to their Home directory so they
>can't muck up the actual filesystem without knowing at least a little about
>what they are doing...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message