tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Stone <cityli...@petmystone.com>
Subject Re: RequestDispatcher anomolies (Tomcat v4.1.24)
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:09:13 GMT
Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> Howdy,
> I'm attaching a .zip file containing a .war that should help you
> convince yourself.  I'd attach the .war or the source files directly but
> the listserv doesn't like that.
>
> Note the Servlet Specification, v2.3, does not mention whether/when
> method the method should return control after RequestDispatcher#forward
> calls.  That's why pages like this:
> http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Java/Servlets/request.html
> that say "Any code written in our DispatcherTest servlet after
> "rd.forward(request, response);" will not execute as the request is
> already forwarded" are not always to be trusted.

Thank you for the link and the test code. Adding a return indeed fixed
the problem. My "trust" in the behavior described in the examples seen
in both text and web resources was a little to much.

I have to say, the behavior seems almost identical to the described
behavior of RequestDispatcher#include since control is given back to the
  forwarding servlet. The subtle differences are to explored further on
this end.

Thank you Yoav and Tim.

Regards,
Tim