tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Antonio Fiol BonnĂ­n <fiol.bon...@terra.es>
Subject Singleton across multiple contexts
Date Sun, 15 Jun 2003 15:21:37 GMT
Hello,

This question is probably not specific to Tomcat, but a Tomcat-specific
answer could well suit my needs.

I have an application which I have split in several different contexts.
I have done so, to allow different kinds of access to the app, depending
on the web server the requests are coming from.

However, I need a common unique component that "ties" all the contexts
together.

There must be a *single* instance of this component, otherwise
inconsistencies or duplicate work might arise. OTOH, it must be
accessible from all the contexts.

Calls to this component are very simple (calls to void methods) but
moderately frequent.

I have thought of several possibilities:

- Extract the component into a separate JVM, and connect to it via socket.
- Extract the component into another context, and connect to it via HTTP.
--- I like none of those.

- Create the instance from the first context needing it, and making it
available to all of them.
--- I like this best, but I have no idea of how to do that.

Yours sincerely,

Antonio Fiol