tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5 - validation and compilation
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:28:20 GMT
Yeah - I need to add this to the faq. Here's what Craig said when I asked the 
same thing a long time ago:

'Releases happen "when they are ready."

 From a user perspective, what you saw about votes of committers is all
there is to go on.  Committers -- and especially the release manager --
make a judgement call about the relative risk of the patches that have
been applied since the preceeding beta, and decides whether or not the
next release should be called a beta or not.  (You should know that, for
Tomcat versions < 4.1, the difference between a beta and a final release
is basically wrapped up in what the release manager proposes -- there is
not really any quantitative difference in the amount of pre-release
testing that goes on, so waiting for the "final" release and hoping it
is higher quality, simply because of that label, is pretty silly.)

For Tomcat 4.1.x, the Tomcat developers have adopted a version labelling
scheme similar to that used for the Apache web server, and several other
Jakarta projects -- a version "4.1.x" release will be made without any
label that implies quality.  After the release has been in the field for a
while, it will be declared "alpha", "beta", "release", or "abandoned" (if
a showstopper bug occurs).  On this basis, the 4.1.3 release was declared
to be "beta" quality based on the feedback of those who tested it, and
didn't find any showstopper bugs.  There are still things on the TODO
list, or it would have been declared final.'

-Tim

Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> Howdy,
> That question should be on the FAQ as well ;)  Like all other Apache
> releases, the basic answer is no.  It'll be ready when it's ready.  You
> can help accelerate by downloading alpha/beta versions, using them, and
> reporting any bugs you find.  You can help even more by contributing
> patches, etc.
> 
> Yoav Shapira
> Millennium ChemInformatics
> 
> 
> 
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Euan Guttridge [mailto:EGuttridge@buildonline.com]
>>Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 9:58 AM
>>To: 'Tomcat Users List'
>>Subject: RE: Tomcat 5 - validation and compilation
>>
>>Thanks Tim and Yoav. Is there a release date for a 5.0 stable release?
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
>>Sent: 13 June 2003 14:47
>>To: Tomcat Users List
>>Subject: RE: Tomcat 5 - validation and compilation
>>
>>
>>
>>Howdy,
>>It's still a work in progress.  You can look at the CVS HEAD for tomcat
> 
> 5
> 
>>if
>>you'd like.  The main deployer implementation is pretty much done, the
>>standalone deployer with validation is not 100% done yet.  The
>>documentation
>>for either is not 100% done yet.
>>
>>Yoav Shapira
>>Millennium ChemInformatics
>>
>>
>>
>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>From: Euan Guttridge [mailto:EGuttridge@buildonline.com]
>>>Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 9:48 AM
>>>To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
>>>Subject: Tomcat 5 - validation and compilation
>>>
>>>In the Tomcat home page under Tomcat 5.x,
>>>
>>>"Refactored application deployer, with an optional standalone deployer
>>>allowing validation and compilation of a web application before
> 
> putting
> 
>>it
>>
>>>in production"
>>>
>>>- Can someone point me to the documentation about this please?
>>>
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Euan
>>>
>>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>>>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business
>>communication, and may contain information that is confidential,
>>proprietary
>>and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s)
> 
> to
> 
>>whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed
> 
> or
> 
>>used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please
>>immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the
>>sender.  Thank you.
>>
>>
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>>
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication, and
may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged.  This e-mail
is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied,
printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please
immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender.  Thank you.
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 
> 


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message