tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: rotating catalina.out
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:59:28 GMT
I have mixed feelings on catalina.out.

On one hand it should be allowed to rotate because it does get written to.

OTOH - After the startup message - nothing really should be written to it
without making an effort to do so. So only badly written code which uses
System.out/err will be the victim. This is the incentive to use a real
logging package. Allowing rotation allows reward of bad code.

OTOH - Adapting the startup scripts should be easy for a user to fix their
bad code in that they can pipe to a simple log rotation program instead of a
file.

-Tim ( Who's sympathetic because he's a victim of coders who use lots of
System.out)