tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Emerson Cargnin <emer...@tre-sc.gov.br>
Subject Re: Sharing a connection pool among contexts
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 19:42:20 GMT
I do it in a different way :

I have a servlet in charge to set all pools, and I have a class with
statics methods to manage the pools, creating, test, and show their use.
This class is shared with all contexts through a jar in common/lib.

So I have a servlet, with all configuration of the pools in param in the
web.xml. this servlet can create pools (in its init method), test and
show it, and show statistics.
I works great, and I can share a pool among contexts.
I use the bitmechanic connection pool, a little old, but still works.
http://www.bitmechanic.com/projects/jdbcpool/dist/jdbcpool-1.0b1.zip

I put the jar of the pool in the common/lib dir. I f anyone is
interested in the ConnectionManager, I can share it, it's an eclipse
project with ant build file that generates both war and the lib jar.

Hope it can help :)

Emerson

Scott wrote:

> Hi, I have configured the commons-dbcp datasource as a JNDI resource
> for MSSQL and Oracle and all is working as expected. However, as I
> understand, it is only possible to keep a factory as a resource and so
> a new datapool must be created everytime a JNDI lookup is done. I
> would like to share a single connection pool among different contexts.
>
> My first attempt was to create a listener that put a single instance
> of a pool into the JNDI only to find that it is read-only. For my next
> attempt I am thinking of creating a javabean with a static collection
> of datasources and name keys that can be gotten as a JNDI resource so
> that the different applications can just retrieve the bean and do a
> lookup of the datasource that way.
>
> Am I missing an easier or better way to do this? I do not have any
> experience with Javabeans and based on the stuff I've seen on the web
> beans are usually graphic oriented. Is this an appropriate use of a
> bean (or perhaps an Enterprise Javabean)?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Scott

Emerson Cargnin
Analista de Sitemas
Setor de Desenvolvimento de Sistemas - TRE-SC
tel : (048) - 251-3700 - Ramal 3181