tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chong Yu Meng <>
Subject Re: Tomcat problems every morning.
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 13:27:48 GMT
Hollerman Geralyn M wrote:

>Why, yes, I am. And I thought perhaps MySQL was the problem - but I was told
>by some people using Oracle and PostgreSQL databases that they'd seen the
>problem as well.
To put it bluntly, don't believe them, Lynn. It seems to me like you've
done everything necessary to ensure that the problem is not on your
side. If it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck ...

>I tried putting in some code to set the driver time-out
You could write a small program (not a servlet) that polls the database
(i.e. connect to the database, retrieve some data, disconnect) at
regular intervals and records to a file both successes and failures.
Then maybe trigger a server reboot when it detects a connection problem.
This will add some overhead to both your app server and database server,
so, be advised. You could run this for a couple of days, just enough to
collect data to show to the DBA's.

Realistically, though, I doubt that it will change anything. If your DBA
does not understand the possibility of MySQL dropping/resetting
connections and hasn't offered to check for you, it's unlikely he will
accept your results. Maybe I'm just getting bitter and cynical in my
"old age" :)

pascal chong

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: