tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jay Garala <JGar...@Conclusive.com>
Subject RE: Too Many Jars!??!
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:33:25 GMT
Thanks Yoav,

  I asked this because my company's product has ~53 jars of its own.  And
when we deploy web apps in Tomcat for our product, sometimes tomcat wont
start or start but not run any jsp/servlets.  I know this is a classpath
issue. Since i have created a BIGTomcat.jar with 4.0.6 and been using it for
a while now.

  But it is hard to create this JAR file every time a new version of Tomcat
comes out and distribute it to other people who are using it on their
machines.

  Guess i gotta live and learn.

take care,

Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 11:19 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Too Many Jars!??!

Howdy,

>      Is there a clean way to compact all the JARs that tomcat has (All
>JARs
>in Tomcat Sub-Folders) into one BIGTomcat.jar.  And is there a specific
>order that it must go in (If have two conflicting packages and/or
classes,
>which one to use).

The conflict problem you pointed out is one reason not to do this.
Another reason is the ability to replace any of the individual jars by
an updated version without needing to modify the others.  There are many
are pros to modularity, and no cons I can think of.

Can you suggest a con, or otherwise explain why you want to combine all
these jars?

>    Is there a way to modify the ant build script so it might to this
>automatically? (Dreaming)

This is a trivial ant task to create (pick a temp directory, extract all
jars to it, jar everything in that directory).  Don't count on seeing
this task included in tomcat (or any non-trivial product) any time soon,
however, as it's negative effects far outweigh its benefits.

Yoav Shapira

sender.  Thank you.