tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Passey <kpas...@kdpsoftware.co.uk>
Subject RE: installing a servlet
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:54:32 GMT
I would agree with John - I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination -
I installed the latest java, apache and Tomcat and got it working in a
morning.

Read more is the answer. If you ask nicely there are many people in this
list who can point you at the relevant documentation.

I for one am grateful to many people in this list.

Good luck - don't go backwards, go forwards...

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: John Turner [mailto:tomcat-user@johnturner.com]
Sent: 24 June 2003 13:42
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: installing a servlet

Donwgrading and using mod_webapp is the WORST thing you could do, for all
sorts of reasons.  Security, for one.  Performance, for another.  Future
extensibility and growth, for another.

Mod_jk and mod_jk2 work.  This is a fact.  There's nothing anyone can do if
you want to give up learning how they work and use something else instead,
but the truth is they work, and not just on someone's desktop.  Many, many
people are using Tomcat and a connector under heavy load in production on a
daily basis (I'm one of them and there are many more).  Load balancing,
multiple instances, all sorts of advanced configurations.  If you want to
take the time to learn how things work, and why they work that way (Tomcat
MUST obey the servlet spec, there is no alternative), then you can get your
answers and have a robust, stable system.  Its a personal choice.  Good
luck.

John