tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Riaan Oberholzer <riaanoberhol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tutorial for Tomcat Beginners!!
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:44:47 GMT
I would recommend getting to terms with general
deployment and J2EE issues first. The J2EE specs as a
guideline can be used, although reading the full specs
is overkill. Someone else mentioned a .war tutorial
which will help.

Once you know how a J2EE app fits together and what an
application sever should/must provide, you can map
that to Tomcat, but you'll also already have a good
knowledge base for other application servers. If you
know what to expect from an application, you know
where to look for it more easily.

XML is easy. Read a short introduction somewhere just
to get the basic idea of what it is, then all the
files will make a lot more sense.

Btw, with Tomcat 4.1 you get the docs installed with
the server, so you have a full reference with examples
right there.