tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Riaan Oberholzer <riaanoberhol...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: easy question
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:23:34 GMT
In addition, jar files you have in /WEB-INF/lib are
also automatically in the application's classpath.

What you might often see in a production environment
running multiple applications on one server, is that
common packages are made known to developers so that
they do not need to include them in the builds.
Instead, these common packages (log4j, jdbc drivers,
etc) are placed in the $TOMCAT_HOME%/common/lib
directory, which makes them available to all
applications. One advantage (some might say
disadvantage) is that you consolidate everyone to use
the same versions of packages, besides the smaller
.war files. In larger environments where version
control is important, this can be quite usefull.

On that note, what is the scope of jars put under the
%TOMCAT_HOME%/server/lib directory?