tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Paridhi Bansal" <paridhiban...@mail.com>
Subject Re: taking quite a long time for applet to come up
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 04:57:41 GMT
Hi!!

I have tried it on IE(5 and 6), Netscape and Mozilla...The second authentication window appears
on every browser...The difference between first and second window is that first window shows
the option to save username and passowrd and the second doesn't so that you have to enter
username and password every time you open..

Paridhi
----- Original Message -----
From: "G. Wade Johnson" <wade.johnson@abbnm.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:55:41 -0500
To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Subject: Re: taking quite a long time for applet to come up

> Which browser are you using?
>
> I have seen the "second authentication window" effect on Netscape 4.79.
> I don't see it on newer Netscapes, Mozilla, or recent IE.
>
> G. Wade
>
> Paridhi Bansal wrote:
> >
> > Hi!!
> >
> > I have tomcat 4.0.6 running servlet-applet application..i have two folders in my
webapps folder and i have removed all the original folders(manager, example,tomcat-docs)from
webapps.i have removed corresponding entries from server.xml file also..still whenever, i
restart tomcat, in the logs i can see tomcat redaing and loading variouus parameters say web.xml
for all these now non-existing directories..From where(which conf file) is it reading this
info???Can this be a factor for the slowness??

> > Next, my application is SSL based and i have used BASIC authentication scheme..My
servlet is invoked from an html page link.. Initially b4 i get the html page , i get the certificate
dialog box and username-password window..then html page openes up..on clicking the link to
servlet, the applet sized base shows up on the next page immediately but it takes a lot of
time for the applet to appear..in between the certificate appears again and the authentication
window too comes in again...

> > I wanted to ask why is the authentication window coming twice when it's the same
username and password that user has to enter..is it possible to get rid of any one of these
windows so that ineed to authenticate only once..

> > Second, is it possible to reduce the time between my clicking on the hyperlink and
the second certificate screen to come up...why does it takes so much time???because once the
certificate screen appears, the auth window comes quickly and then within 20-30 seconds, the
applet appears..IS IT possible to somehow reduce the time for the applet to appear????????//

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers