tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <madhom...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: tomact shutdown issue
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 01:28:01 GMT
I have like 50 of these in my ps awux

root      2553  1.4 21.7 229700 31056 pts/0  S
18:13   1:45 /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_02/bin/java
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/var/tomcat4/common/endors

it is cut off at the end.

I was able to stop half of them
I think it maybe that I tried to kill it BEFORE it
finished starting, I notice it takes a while to get
going.

BUT how do I kill these when it doesn;t even work if I
do it manually?

a netstat shows it is not listening on anything!

--- Yoav Shapira <yoavs1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
> There's always the obvious question: are you sure
> tomcat is running when you're
> shutting it down?  The simplest cause for this error
> message is that tomcat is
> not running.
>
> A slightly less obvious reason is that tomcat could
> not start up properly, and
> could not open a listening socket on the shutdown
> port.  Use netstat or an
> equivalent command to make sure tomcat is listening
> on the shutdown port when
> you're issuing the shutdown command.
>
> Yoav Shapira
>
> --- madhombre@yahoo.com wrote:
> > tomcat 4.1.24
> > redhat 7.3
> > apache 1.3.20
> > jdk j2sdk1.4.1_02
> >
> > tomcat is installed and is runnable
> >
> > when I try to close down using either the shutdown
> or
> > the redhat shutdown script I get the error given
> > below, now I have spent time searching and looking
> int
> > he archive and see this is produced when tomcat is
> not
> > running and is shutdown already, however this is
> not
> > true in my case, if I do a ps auwx, I am still
> showing
> > it running. The amazing thing is that sometimes it
> > does shutdown, but it takes a few tries. ODD
> >
> > Please help
> >
> > PS I am a tomcat newbie so if you need any
> listings of
> > files please let me know
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > shutdown error
> > --------------
> > Using CATALINA_BASE:   /var/tomcat4
> > Using CATALINA_HOME:   /var/tomcat4
> > Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/tomcat4/temp
> > Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_02
> > Catalina.stop: java.net.ConnectException:
> Connection
> > refused
> > java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
> >         at
> > java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native
> Method)
> >         at

java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
> >         at

java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
> >         at

java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)