tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Yoav Shapira <yoa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Best practice development directory layout for deploying exploded war
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:37:14 GMT
Howdy,
My advice would be to follow the guide here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/index.html

Don't use the space under tomcat's webapps directories as a live development
space.  Only deploy built applications there.  That means develop them
elsewhere on your file system, in a version-controlled tree.  Have an ant
script that builds your app and deploys it to the tomcat installation.

Yoav Shapira

--- "White, Joshua A (HTSC, CASD)" <Joshua.White@thehartford.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My company is contemplating the idea of deploying servlet applications on
> Tomcat in production. (woohoo!)
>
> I am hoping that some of you may suggest some best practices for laying out
> your development directory structure.  I have my directory structure layed
> out like an expanded war file.  If I point tomcat to this directory for
> expanded deployment, it makes it easy to edit/source control jsp files.  It
> also makes copying/updating/deleting jar/lib files a pain.  Do people set up
> a empty classes directory under the web-inf to source control their
> properties files or is it better to put them in a separate directory and
> copy them there?
>
> Is the best practice to do it this way or to copy your jsp/classes/libs to
> another exploded directory all together?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Joshua
>

> This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of
> addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged
> information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying,
> disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If
> you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
> immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all
> copies.

=====
Yoav Shapira
yoavs@computer.org