tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Yoav Shapira <yoa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: lag when restarting tomcat
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 01:04:42 GMT
Howdy,
You can reduce startup time by eliminating unneeded applications.  In
production servers, I hardly ever leave anything but the webapp itself: I
remove the admin, manager, docs, webdav, examples, ROOT contexts.

Things that affect shutdown include your custom finalizers, if any.  Similarly,
destroy() methods in servlets, filters, and various shutdown methods in
listeners can take time to invoke and execute.

If you're really annoyed by this and care enough to contribute code, why don't
you profile tomcat startup to see where CPU time is spent, and then suggest
patches? ;)

Yoav Shapira

--- Euan Guttridge <EGuttridge@buildonline.com> wrote:
> If I bounce tomcat via the /bin/shutdown.sh & /bin/startup.sh scripts it
> takes at least 20 seconds until it responds again. This is still after my
> war has been unpacked and jsps compiled.. Any suggestions please?
>
> Running standalone, on linux 2*700mhz, 1GB. One application 30mb.
>

> Thanks
> Euan

=====
Yoav Shapira