tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jason Efting <designquesti...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: -Xincgc, -Xms600, -Xmx600
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 20:18:34 GMT
Hi,
I assume that I would just add -verbose:gc to my registry as another option?

Unfortunatly I think I know where the source of my problem lie, one of the most just applications
is writting pretty bad and doesn't ever close database connections, resultssets or set then
to null. This app cannot be changed right now so I'll have to fix it somehow.

Here is my plan:
Add -verbose:gc to registry.
Monitor output after adding -verbose:gc
Use stress testing tools to generate a high volume of requests and monitor memory consumption
and gc behariour.
If all else fails, reload the box and install the latest version of tomcat, apache and the
jdk.

Any other ideas?

Regards,
Jason

"Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com> wrote:

Howdy,
You can enable the -verbose:gc switch and see how often GC is occurring.
Incremental GC will occur all the time pretty much.

Note that your core problem may be deeper. Why did memory consumption
hit 600MB? Is that expected? If so, you should ensure the heap has
more allocated than what you expect to need.

If this is not expected, find out what's holding on to data and modify
the relevant code so that garbage collection can reclaim this space.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged. This e-mail is intended
disclosed or used by anyone else. If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately
delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender. Thank you.