tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Atreya Basu <atr...@greenfieldresearch.ca>
Subject RE: Need help on deploying application
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:07:13 GMT
Charles,

Try deploying it without the web.xml file.

Can you maybe post the login.jsp file that you are trying to use?  I can
see if I can reproduce the problem on my machine.

Another thing that you may try doing is copying a directory in
\webapps\examples\jsp.  Just copy the directory right out into
\webapps\<dir>.  Then restart Tomcat.  If you get an error try putting
in a WEB-INF directory along with a web.xml file.

_____________________________________
Atreya Basu
Developer,
Greenfield Research Inc.
e-mail: atreya (at) greenfieldresearch (dot) ca

-----Original Message-----
From: cknell@onebox.com [mailto:cknell@onebox.com]
Sent: June 23, 2003 12:20 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Need help on deploying application

I have installed Tomcat on my workstation and I'm able to access the
applications supplied with the distribution. I have two Tomcat books and
I'm trying to deploy an application from one of them as a tool to learn
Tomcat basics. I am unable to get to the application. Below is what I
believe to be the essential facts of my situation. I would appreciate
someone looking over this and telling me where I've gone wrong or
offering suggestions on other debugging techniques. Thanks.

Here is the information from the Tomcat Manager page:
Tomcat version: Apache Tomcat/4.1.24
JVM version:
1.4.1_02-b06
JVM supplier:
Sun Microsystems Inc.
OS:
Windows XP
OS version:
5.1
Processor architecture:
x86

My CATALINA_HOME environment variable points to:
D:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1

My application is at this path location:
D:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\webapps\apress

I have the files "login.jsp" and "welcome.jsp" in this directory.

I have this web.xml file in apress\WEB-INF:

<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC
  '-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN'
  'http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd'>

<web-app>

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>login</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>chapter2.login</servlet-class>
  </servlet>

  <taglib>
    <taglib-uri>/apress</taglib-uri>
    <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/lib/taglib.tld</taglib-location>
  </taglib>

</web-app>

I have this context element in my server.xml file:
<Context path="/apress" docBase="apress" debug="0" reloadable="true" />

When I point my browser at "http://localhost:8080/apress/login.jsp", I
get this error message:
"The requested resource (/apress/login.jsp) is not available."

When I use the Tomcat Manager application to start the "/apress"
application, I get this error message:
"FAIL - Application at context path /apress could not be started"

Can anyone point out where I've gone wrong? Thanks.

--
Charles Knell
cknell@onebox.com - email