tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <ku...@inwind.it>
Subject Re: installing Tomcat without being root
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 13:38:08 GMT
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:44:07 +0200, <kurtc@inwind.it> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > thanks to your advice i had been able to install tomcat and run all my
> > servlets, but I have still 2 problems:
> >
> > 1) Having   installed TomCat standalone as a non-root user, TomCat is
> > reachable only at port 8080, while the DNS is set for the port 80,
> > ie www.myhost.com:8080 works, but www.myhost.com dont. What should i do
> > is
> > this case?
>
> Only root can bind a process to port 80.

Well, i dont see the point here (cause i'm a newbie), but i would like to
get this result:
1)An user contact www.myhost.com
2) the resolver asks to the DNS for that name, and the DNS answers with the
pair IP:PORT (ie www.myhost.com:8080)

In this way my TomCat, running at 8080, will be contacted at each request.
The actual solution (crappy) is to have an index.php file in my home
directory which redirect to www.myhost.com:8080.
If the former solution could be done, my question would be: how to do that ?

 > > 2) the Host inside (the Engine tag) has still the name "localhost", and
> > not
> > the name it should have www.myhost.com. It works all fine, either
> > browsing
> > the my site remotely and locally. I read through the documentation, and
> > did not find what is the difference between having it set to "localhost"
> > or
> > to the right host name ("www.myhost.com"). Any hint?
>
> The name is the name of the virtual host that Tomcat will respond to.  If
> it is "localhost" and Tomcat receives a request for "my.domain.com", then
> Tomcat will not serve it, or will serve it using the default Host and
> Context, which may or may not be what you want.  If you want Tomcat to
> respond to requests for "my.domain.com", then set up a Host container and
> use "my.domain.com" for the name parameter, just as it is done for
> "localhost".

Ok, so it is working in both cases because of the default host
configuration.

Many thanks!
Alex