tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Laurent Féral-Pierssens <laurent-li...@distincthorizon.com>
Subject RE: Special characters
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:20:25 GMT

David,

I had this problem quite a few months back for the first time and was
not able to solve it... Untill It surfaced again last week.

The solution I used is fairly simple, here is my entry for this issue.
Let me know if it works.

Laurent

***************************
Webapp does not recognize accented characters (eg. é,è,à...) and display
a question mark instead.

Solution:
This is a locale issue. Characters are captured properly, only when they
are displayed they get modified to a '?'. There is no loss of data when
using a system with this issue.

To fix the problem, you need to set your LANG OS specific environment
variable to the language you use.
Try adding this line:
export LANG=en_CA
to your tomcat/bin/catalina.sh and restart tomcat.

It should look like this:
	# OS specific support.  $var _must_ be set to either true or
false.
	cygwin=false
	case "`uname`" in
	CYGWIN*) cygwin=true;;