tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Hayes" <ma...@col.com.hk>
Subject RE: tomcat 4.1.24 + sdk 1.4.1_03 + Win 2000
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 04:38:08 GMT
Atreya -

When you say "every single .jar file and class file," which one are you
referring to?  Seems like this could result in class loader problems since
classes in server/lib are only visible to TC.

In this situation, the class in question is in a jar file (catalina.jar)
which is already in server/lib.

My gut feeling is that there is something amiss in Windows.  I have just
tried it on another machine and it works OK.

-----Original Message-----
From: Atreya Basu [mailto:atreya@greenfieldresearch.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 11:40 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: tomcat 4.1.24 + sdk 1.4.1_03 + Win 2000

Hi Mark,

I had a similar problem with classNotFoundException.  My only option was
to find every single .jar file and class file and extract/copy them into
the server/lib directory.  I'm not sure what the problem was but that
seemed to have fixed it.

Mark Hayes wrote:

>I tried two suggestions (don't use LFN's. Comment out MBeans support) but
>symptom persists. See env var settings below.  I have not made any changes
>to jar's in the endorsed directory.
>
>C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\bin>catalina run
>Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:\Progra~1\Apache~1\Tomcat~1.1
>Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:\Progra~1\Apache~1\Tomcat~1.1
>Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\Progra~1\Apache~1\Tomcat~1.1\temp
>Using JAVA_HOME:       C:\j2sdk1~1.1_0
>Jun 25, 2003 9:28:55 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester startElement
>SEVERE: Begin event threw exception
>java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer
>
>Installation Directories:
>C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\bin
>C:\j2sdk1.4.1_03
>
>Env Var's:
>CATALINA_HOME=C:\Progra~1\Apache~1\Tomcat~1.1
>JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk1~1.1_0
>
>----------------
>
>I too am getting an uneasy feeling that Windows (registry?) is confused.  I
>tried all this on another machine at home and it worked OK.  If I recall, I
>may have installed the TC 1.4.1_03 exe before uninstalling the TC 4.0.1
exe.
>I have since uninstalled all TC installs and installed only the TC 1.4.1_03
>exe.  I have looked threw the Win registry for things that might be out of
>wack, but most of the entries seem rather benign.
>Pray tell this does not require a windows reinstall.

Developer
Greenfield Research Inc.
atreya(AT)greenfieldresearch(DOT)ca
(902)422-9426