tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Paul \(BRI\)" <phish...@briconsultingroup.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.1.18 won't reload deleted and re-created JSP pages, returns 404 error though JSP is there
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:36:59 GMT
Florian, Just as a side note, I know I have to constantly delete out the
/work/Standalone/localhost/xxx directory and start/stop tomcat
(4.1.18/RedHat 7.2) to see my new pages. If I add a new JSP, delete the
/work/Standalone/localhost/xxx, and then don't restart, I get a 404
error. If I don't delete those files I of course see the old page -  I
also have my settings to development. I am using Tomcat as a standalone.
So I would also be interested in others experience with this. Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Florian G. Haas [mailto:florian.haas@hico.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 5:20 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat 4.1.18 won't reload deleted and re-created JSP pages,
returns 404 error though JSP is there

Hello,

forgive my intrusion, it's usually not my style to start posting to a
list I haven't previously lurked on for a while. This issue baffles me,
though, and I haven't been able to find any information to even give me
the feeling of heading in the right direction.

Using Tomcat 4.1.18 on a Red Hat Linux 7.2 box with JDK 1.3.1_06, JSP
pages on the system are created and deleted automagically by a CMS. When
the CMS deletes a previously published JSP, attempting to access that
document of course results in a 404 error. Re-publishing the same
document, however, doesn't change the situation at all; Tomcat still
issues the 404 even though the JSP is again there. Jasper never seems to
pick up the JSP; the .java and .class files in the work folder are never
updated. The only current way of being able to access the file again is
to restart Tomcat.

The default Jasper settings in the global web.xml are unchanged, the
"development" init-param is set to true. The webapp's Context has
reloadable="true", its Host has autoDeploy="true" and liveDeploy="true".
The file is owned by the Tomcat user and has a mode of 0664.

The problem applies regardless of whether the document is accessed
through a Tomcat standalone connector or via Apache and mod_jk2.

Any clues will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance,
Florian

--
Florian G. Haas

hico .:. Informations- und Kommunikations- Management Ges.m.b.H. TechLab
.:. Thomas A. Edison Str. 2 A-7000 Eisenstadt .:. Austria
Phone: +43 (2682) 704 6141
Cellular: +43 (664) 410 2703
Fax: +43 (2682) 704 6110

florian.haas@hico.com