tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: Typical newbie problems
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 16:07:04 GMT

The /examples web app, and most Tomcat books published before 4.1.12-ish
were released use the Invoker servlet.  The Invoker is what lets you just
put a servlet into a directory and call it.

This is disabled by default in more recent versions of Tomcat.  You have to
explicitly declare every servlet in web.xml and map a URL to it, since
using the Invoker is not recommended (security reasons).

http://tomcatfaq.sourceforge.net/miscellaneous.html

and more specifically

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=104327383710262&w=2

HTH