tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: Multiple instances
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 13:11:44 GMT
On Fri, 30 May 2003 08:12:26 -0400, Lloyd Meinholz <meinholz@bmpcoe.org>
wrote:

> I have a wrapper startup script that changes the value of CATALINA_BASE
> before it calls the startup.sh script. Just have the right directories
> and
> files created in your CATALINA_BASE directory before you call startup.sh.
>
> There are a couple of problems with this that I've found. You have a lot
> of
> java processes running and if one of them is going haywire, you don't
> have a
> way of knowing which server instance is bad since they all show up as
> java
> in the ps -ef output. I'm trying to solve this by having a java_server1,
> java_server2 etc. binaries, but am having some difficulties with that.

If you're using Linux, try putting "--cols=300" in your ps command...then
you can grep on server.xml or a directory name:

ps -ef --cols=300 | grep java |grep some-string-here-that-means-something-
to-you

> Also, I've found that if you start more than just a couple of instances
> simultaneously, they all fail. I have about 10 servers that get started
> in a
> boot script that don't start correctly if you try and start all of them
> at
> the same time (at least very quickly one after the other). I have to put
> sleep between each startup call to get them to start correctly.

I wrote a wrapper-wrapper that does this.  It just loops through a list,
and for each one, makes the appropriate calls with a sleep 5 in between.
Works perfect for 22 Tomcat instances.

John