tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: Thanks John---RE: Apache-Tomcat Config
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 15:25:46 GMT

Off-hand, I would say that the missing <Alias> and <Location> directives
for Apache probably cause some unhappiness.

If your auto-generated mod_jk.conf doesn't match the one that is on my
site, it means the Listener elements in Tomcat's server.xml aren't where
they should be.

As far as separate machines, this is handled by changing the .host
parameter in workers.properties to the IP address of the server hosting
Tomcat.  As far as the firewall is concerned, you'll need to ensure that
the firewall allows communication back and forth between the Apache server
and the Tomcat server.  Inbound connections to Tomcat from Apache are
typically on port 8009, but they can be on any port you wish.

So, something like this (pseudocode...change to your firewall's syntax):

src apache.ip.address dest tomcat.ip.address port 8009 protocol any allow

That will keep unfriendlies from trying to jack your Tomcat server around
on port 8009 without first going through your Apache server.

John